What happens when a leader unveils their vulnerability? Does it weaken their status or lead to a more profound connection with their team?
These intriguing questions are the foundation of my conversation with Jacob Morgan, a trained futurist and renowned authority on the future of work, leadership, and employee experience. We navigate through the complexities of leading with vulnerability, drawing from Jacob’s extensive research, real-world examples, and insights from his latest book, Lead with Vulnerability.
Think about the CEO who bares his soul about the struggles of the business, only to be fired, or the one who acknowledges the struggles but couples them with a clear vision leading to success. Stories like these help us to dissect the nuanced difference between vulnerability and leading with vulnerability, especially in a workplace setting. Jacob shares insights and practical advice on how leaders can incorporate vulnerability into their leadership style without undermining their competence.
What is the transformative power of vulnerability on employees? What happens when a CEO and COO embrace vulnerability amidst a company tragedy?
We dive deep into these questions, underscoring the significance of acknowledging one’s shortcomings and striving for improvement. Learn more about Jacob’s book, Lead with Vulnerability, and join us in this thought-provoking episode as we explore the future of work and elevate your understanding of leadership.
Topics Discussed In Today’s Episode:
- The differences between being vulnerable at work and in your personal life.
- Do leaders need to be more or less vulnerable than their employees?
- Taking accountability and demonstrating growth
- The important difference between leading with vulnerability, and being vulnerable.
- The Vulnerable Leader Equation: leadership + vulnerability = leading with vulnerability.
- The important characteristic that must be present in order for leading with vulnerability to be effective.
- The Vulnerability Wheel – a framework that helps leaders assess when, what, and how to be vulnerable based on intention, timing, and other factors.
- The eight attributes of vulnerable leaders.
- Practical advice for leaders to start demonstrating vulnerability.
LISTEN TO IMPACT MAKERS PODCAST – EPISODE 97
People & Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
Substack: Great Leadership With Jacob Morgan