Imagine receiving a breast cancer diagnosis just nine days after losing your job.
This was the reality for my friend, Nicole Roberts, an HR executive who faced these challenges beginning in December 2022.
In this truly inspiring episode of the Impact Makers podcast, Nicole shares her journey through conquering cancer and navigating the financial difficulties that came with it. Not only is she shouldering her family’s living expenses and her own medical care, but she also embarked on the journey of starting her own HR consulting and coaching business, People Solutions Group.
In our conversation, my friend Laurie Ruettimann, host of the Punk Rock HR podcast, joins me to explore with Nicole the original misdiagnosis of her breast cancer, and to discuss the importance of self-advocacy and self-care. Nicole’s story highlights the significance of having a treatment plan and the unwavering support of loved ones, as well as how to better support those who may face health or personal challenges in the future.
As Impact Makers, let’s unite in showing Nicole our support on her journey in every possible way. Connect with Nicole through the links in the show notes and consider contributing to the GoFundMe campaign set up to assist her and her family during this time.
Don’t miss this powerful episode, as it is essential listening for leaders and anyone in the workplace who may face similar challenges.
Topics Discussed In This Episode:
- Nicole Roberts, President of People Solutions Group, shares about her 20-year career in HR, and the motivation behind starting her own business.
- Nicole was laid off from her job as an HR executive in December 2022, and was diagnosed with breast cancer nine days later.
- Why it’s important to be your own advocate: Nicole’s journey from an initial misdiagnosis through seeking a second opinion, leading to a confirmed diagnosis of breast cancer and lymph node involvement.
- How resilience, mindset, and positive thinking has played a crucial role in Nicole’s approach to managing her health, while she is also pursuing the next steps in her career.
- It can be embarrassing or difficult for many cancer patients to accept financial support, as it was initially for Nicole. She shares about her own experience with when she was ready and able to accept help and support from friends and professional colleagues, as well as why she believes it’s important to offer support without being asked.
- A GoFundMe campaign has been created to provide an opportunity to support Nicole and her family in this journey. We hope that you’ll not only consider donating whatever you can, but also sharing it with others in your network who may be interested in her story, and ready to support.