Have you ever been in front of a crowd with your heart racing, palms sweating, and mind in overdrive?
Yep, I’ve been there too! That’s why today, I’m excited to take you on a backstage journey into the world of public speaking. And who better to guide us than Adriana Baer, a public speaking coach who equips leaders with powerful speaking skills, drawing from her rich acting and theater background.
Adriana shares about how her theatrical past not only helped her face her own fears, but also how has provided her with a unique toolkit to empower her clients. She focuses on fostering a genuine connection with the audience, aligning with their goals, and digging deep to find that motivation.
In our conversation on the podcast, we dove deep into how a well-crafted narrative can completely transform your speech, keeping your audience hooked. Adriana graciously shared her method of helping clients achieve the perfect mix of structure and flexibility in their speeches, and we also discussed slide design – a topic that sparks quite a debate.
Addressing the ever-present fear of public speaking, Adriana drew parallels between speaking and singing, delving into the psychological ties that bind the two, and we concluded with practical tips on overcoming stage fright.
Adriana’s passion and expertise is the art of communication, and her mission is to guide clients through the process of speaking courageously with confidence and clarity in order to inspire their communities, increase their impact, and grow their careers.
And who doesn’t want more of that? I know I do.
Whether you’re a seasoned or aspiring public speaker, or someone who speaks in boardrooms, conference rooms, or at the local PTA meeting, I think you’ll get some great tips and information from Adriana in our conversation today.
Topics Discussed In Today’s Episode:
- How Adriana’s theater background differentiates her from many public speaking coaches who might come from corporate backgrounds or are professional speakers themselves.
- The framework of crafting a message and delivering it with impact.
- Why understanding internal roadblocks, like mental and emotional barriers, is key to effective public speaking.
- How using an acting technique — creating an “audience character” — can provide a clear focus for speakers, and ensure that their message resonates.
- Why using frameworks and structure can be more powerful and relatable for delivering a message than memorizing a speech.
- Slides or no slides? Adriana shares her perspective.
- The science behind the power of storytelling, and how it creates connection.
- What many popular speakers do wrong, and what great ones do right.