On this episode of the Impact Makers podcast, I welcome back my friend, Dr. Todd Dewett, a globally recognized leadership educator, author, and speaker, to chat about his latest book, “Dancing with Monsters: A Tale About Leadership, Success, and Overcoming Fears.”
If you’re familiar with and love some of the best-selling business books that are written as fables, like The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni, The One Minute Manager by Kenneth H. Blanchard and Dr. Spencer Johnson, or Who Moved My Cheese? by Dr. Spencer Johnson, then you’re going to love Dr. Dewett’s book as well.
Dancing with Monsters is written as a business fable, told through the perspectives of vampires and monsters, with names like Sheets, Mum, Wolfy, and Z.
Through these intriguing characters, Dr. Dewett explores what facing fears, leadership, and success have in common, and how embracing and confronting our fears is necessary in order to harness our teams’ true power.
The book is a fun read, and I believe it’ll inspire you to face and overcome some of your own fears, so you can better optimize your key relationships by leveraging humility, authenticity, and kindness.
Todd is always one of my favorite people to learn from, and in our conversation today, he does not disappoint.
While we do talk about the book, which I highly encourage you to read, I think you’ll really enjoy hearing more of his frank and fresh approach to leadership, authenticity, and self-awareness.
In today’s podcast episode, we’ll chat about why he believes that embracing authenticity must be a part of every leader’s journey, and why it’s important to view people as partners, not resources in the work we’re trying to accomplish together. We’ll discuss how toxic positivity can derail teams, and the difference that building trust and communicating with candor can create. We’ll also discuss how leadership has changed and is evolving in a post-pandemic world, and Dr. Dewett’s 5 Rules of Leadership, as well as a motto that he believes every leader should adopt.
Dr. Dewett is a lot of fun to talk to and listen to, so sit back, and get ready to discover how to embrace authenticity, build trust, and turn obstacles into opportunities on your leadership journey.
And don’t forget to grab a copy of his new book, “Dancing with Monsters,” to discover how you can overcome fears, lead with authenticity, and unleash your true potential.
Topics Discussed In This Episode:
- Dr. Dewett’s journey in writing his fifth book, “Dancing with Monsters,” after previous attempts at writing a novel.
- His inspiration for creating a fable that addresses common struggles such as anxieties, fears, and confidence issues faced by millennials and Gen Z.
- The importance of authenticity in leadership, and how it aligns with the expectations of today’s generations.
- Dr. Dewett’s 5 Rules of Leadership.
- The dangers of treating employees like children and the importance of creating a balance between authority and open dialogue.
- The role of candor in leadership, and the necessity of balancing candor with kindness to foster a productive and supportive work environment.
- The importance of framing challenges in a positive and productive manner to help teams see the silver lining and find opportunities for growth.
- The motto Dr. Dewett believes that every leader should embrace: SSGW – Take the step, Get the scare, Grow, and Win.