When you hear the word “networking”, or someone tells you that you need to “network”, what comes to mind?
In general, if you’re extroverted, or gain energy by interacting with people, then you may feel as excited about networking – as you would if someone invited you to a theme park with lots of rides and roller coasters. That’s assuming, of course, that you like theme parks and roller coasters. 🙂
If you’re more introverted, or prefer to avoid situations where you’re around a lot of people that you don’t know well, you may feel as excited as you would if someone invited you to go to the dentist’s office. Unless, or course, you like going to the dentist’s office… which probably means that you’re a relative of the dentist. Or you’re a masochist. (Hey, no judgement here.)
I know, those are generalizations, but I think I can safely say that most people – whether they’re introverts or extroverts – aren’t that great at networking… even if they love it, or think they’re good at it.
Why is that? Well, it’s because most people aren’t approaching networking in a strategic way, and considering it a skill and practice that’s critical for their personal and professional development.
But, I’ve got good news!
That doesn’t have to be you! Whether you love networking, hate it, or don’t know what it means to be good at it, I can help.
In this episode of the Impact Makers Podcast, I’m sharing why it’s important to Always Be Networking, as well as who you should choose to network with in order to get and give the most benefit, and how you can network like a pro – whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert.
I’ll also share ten awesome questions that you can ask to start great conversations at networking events – and make others think that you’re the most interesting person in the world. 🙂
10 Questions to Ask at Networking Events:
- What brought you here today?
- What has been your biggest takeaway thus far?
- Who have you enjoyed meeting, or who would you suggest I connect with at this event?
- What is the best book you’ve read recently? Or, what is your favorite podcast?
- What was the biggest challenge that you faced in your job or career recently, and what did you do to solve it?
- What is your favorite thing about the work you do, or where you work?
- What do you do for fun outside of work?
- What is the best piece of career advice that you’ve gotten – or that you’ve given?
- What is the most exciting or interesting thing that you’re working on at the moment?
- What other conferences or events do you attend, or get value from?
IMPACT MAKERS PODCAST – EPISODE 33
- Why you need to view your networking strategy just like you do anything else that is important and adds value.
- Why your mantra when you go to an event should be, “I’m going to be interested, and not worry about being interesting.”
- How to be intentional about networking.
- Ten awesome questions you can ask to start great conversations.
- Understanding the value and need for investing in yourself.
More Info and Resources:
Thanks to King University, who’s support makes this podcast possible! King is proud to offer sixteen online degrees with accelerated programs and affordable tuition so you can start a new career faster than ever. You can choose from programs in technology, communication, and business – like an online MBA with six concentrations including human resource management. And because the program is offered fully online, you can earn your degree on your own schedule in as little as 16 months. Visit https://online.king.edu/impactmakers to learn more about the King Difference today.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and if you go through them to make a purchase I’ll earn a commission. Keep in mind that I only link to products or companies because of their quality, or my personal experience with them, and not because of any commissions I receive from your purchases.